Thursday, September 11, 2014

Jolly Halloween Home Decor by September Guest Designer Gloria Stengel

We are so delighted to have the talented Gloria Stengel designing with us this month.

September Guest Designer 
Gloria Stengel

My name is Gloria Stengel and I live in beautiful, southern California. I am a wife of 27 years, and the mom of three kids, and the owner of two cats. 

 I have been hooked on paper crafts all of my life. I have always loved to color, play with paper dolls, and create "projects"! In 1990, I discovered rubber stamping and in 1996, I stumbled across "modern" scrapbooking. I love all aspects of paper crafting: card making, scrapbooking, mini albums, altered art, up-cycling, you name it! I am happiest when I am making a mess! It's the cleaning up part that I don't care for! My newest passion is designing stamps and other digital paper crafting items. I design stamps for Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps (clear/cling) and Hampton Art Stamps (wood mount). I also design digital stamps for myself and my blog readers. My dream is to have my own paper line someday!  I have been on a number of design teams over the past few years, including three terms with Graphic 45. I also accept various guest design spots and work with online stores from time to time. I have recently started my own challenge blog, Craft Hoarders Anonymous. I think the name says it all. I have a blog (Scraps of Life), a Facebook Fan Page, and a YouTube channel in order to share my creative work. 

********

I am very excited to be the September guest designer here at Leaky Shed Studio! I love chipboard, and Leaky Shed has some of the BEST! I created a 9 x 7 inch, Halloween home decor piece to share with you.

"Jolly Halloween"
I love Halloween colors. The oranges and greens are just so lovely. When I saw the Julie Nutting Designs Spooky doll in my chipboard pack, I knew what I wanted to do with her! I wanted to really deck her out! However, once I got going, I decided to keep her rather plain, and deck out the rest of the project! I started by cutting a piece of chipboard to 9 x 7 inches, and inking the edges with black ink. I added decorative paper (Graphic 45 An Eerie Tale) as the background. I trimmed out the pumpkin border (Graphic 45 A Place in Time October) to span the top of the project.

I colored the 8-inch Spooky doll with a white pencil, just to give her that pale, spooky glow. I colored her hair and mask with Copic markers. I added some glitter to her hair with a glitter pen. I added glitter to her mask and to the little spider webs with glue and loose glitter. I created her dress out of paper, edged with black ink. (Graphic 45 Happy Haunting)

I nestled the Clock #1 next to the doll. It fit perfectly into the curve next to her hip! I inked the clock chipboard with black ink and then dabbed it with Delicata Silvery Shimmer pigment ink. This brand of ink dries very quickly and is a beautiful color. I used the same ink for the clock hands and the Watch Parts.

I  backed the center of the clock with decorative paper (Graphic 45 An Eerie Tale). And then I added fussy cut images all around the bottom of the clock. Once I had all the images placed where I wanted, I decided to add dimensional pieces. I used olive pigment ink to ink up the Small Flower Corner, which I trimmed in half in order to use it in two locations.

I added paper flowers and the Watch Parts chipboard, plus a few other fussy cut images to the display. I wanted this to look full and dimensional.

I used some foam squares to pop some items. I also added some "vines" by curling the flower stems that I cut off the flowers. Nothing goes to waste in my studio!

I finished off the piece with a polka dotted bow and a "button" that I cut from some of the paper. To give the "button" more dimension, I stacked it on top of 3 cardstock circles.

Thanks for reading! I enjoyed my guest spot today!
Gloria Stengel - Scraps of Life


Leaky Shed Studio Supplies:

Other: Designer paper: Graphic 45 An Eerie Tale, Happy Haunting, A Place in Time Ribbon: Really Reasonable Ribbon September Ribbon Club Markers: Copic, Sakura, Zig Pencil: Prismacolor Ink: Tsukineko Delicata Silvery Shimmer, Memento Tuxedo Black; Clearsnap Colorbox Pigment Olive Flowers: Wild Orchid Crafts Chipboard tag: Graphic 45 Happy Haunting Brad: Tim Holtz Idea-ology long fastener Glitter: Hampton Art Circle punches: Stampin' Up! Scissors: Fiskars Adhesive: Scotch 3M ATG tape; Aleene's Tacky Glue; Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L 3D Foam Squares; Glue Dots

2 comments:

  1. A very Jolly Halloween piece, indeed! Very fine, Gloria!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely, Gloria! I'm a pumpkin lover, so this really makes me happy. Love the way you kept your Julie Nutting girl a little on the "ghosty" side. The clock bits are just fabby!

    ReplyDelete