Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Dressing up your chippies with embossing powder!

Hi everyone and happy Wednesday!  Maggi here today to share my favorite chipboard embellishment technique.  I love Leaky Shed Studio's chipboard embellishments, they just add so much to a layout!  Here I've added a couple of Leaky Shed keyholes and a key.  I love how they add just the right touch of vintage to this layout.  


Notice how the keyhole looks pitted and tarnished.  I achieved that look by first covering my chipboard with brass cream rubon.  You could just as well paint the chippy too.  Then I dabbed on a little embossing ink, (I use an embossing ink dabber from Stampendous rather than an ink pad), being careful not to cover the entire chipboard, then I sprinkled on Stampendous Aged Bronze embossing enamel.  That is my go to enamel for chippies!   I wanted to be sure and keep the detailed lines visible on the chipboard so I took a needle and drew it through the lines to clean out any embossing powder that had adhered to the grooves.  You can also take a fine paint brush and sweep off some of the powder if you have too much.  Now you are ready to heat set the powder and this is the result.



I just love the look on this key!

Supplies:

  Graphic 45 Typography collection
 Graphic 45 Staples letter stickers 
 Typography chippy stickers
 Stampendous Aged Bonze Embossing Enamel
 Alterations Sizzix Artful Words
WRMK Lucky 8 Lace Kerchief
 Metal Graphic 45 Staples,  Prima Bellas, handmade
Flying Unicorn Metal Adornment keys and bicycle

Next up, another tag with the fabulous Julie Nuttig chipboard dolls.  This started out as a mixed media tag as you can see on the background but I ended up covering most of that!  LOL, that often happens to me.  I just can't get enough of these dolls.  They are so cute and so fun to dress!  This is  4" Princess and I painted her dress with Perfect Pearls gold and the ruffle is Luminarte pink cloud. One thing I really love about leaky Shed chipboard is the detail lines that are cut into the chipboard; they add so much fine detail.  I want to be sure to keep that detail so I am careful not to get paint in the lines but if I do, I just take a straight pin and draw it through the line and that usually fixes it right up!



Again I used Stampendous embossing enamel on her crown, 
this time in aged gold.

I also popped up the doll to give her even more dimension.


Supplies:

Kaisercraft Curiosity paper collection
Stampedous Aged Gold Embossing Enamel
Flying Unicorn Adornments metal leaves
Prima Mechanicals Vintage Trinkets
Petaloo Mixed Texture Mini Blossoms Apricot
Kaisercraft bling

Thanks for stopping by the Leaky Shed blog today.  I hope you'll be a frequent visitor as the design team has lots of wonderful projects to share with you!

Maggi





6 comments: